Find reflections on scripture, concepts for worship and disciple formation, music, liturgy, and more to invigorate your worship planning. Most of these come from Methodist sources and reflect Wesleyan theology.
"For the Long Haul" Worship Series
The Sundays after Pentecost can seem to drag on and on at times. Throughout the long summer, we are asked to maintain our enthusiasm for faith and for worship. This is where we learn again that our faith journey is a marathon and not a sprint. Sure, we’ve heard that before and maybe even could say we know it. But what does it mean?
The first thing it means is that we won’t get too far in our discipleship journey on enthusiasm alone. There will be times when we’ve hit a dry spell, or when we find ourselves in a desert. And as the examples in our chosen texts for the next four weeks show us, grumbling and fear will be ever around us and even within us at times. Enthusiasm wanes and emotions come and go. It takes discipline to sustain the pace as we walk our faith journey. It takes commitment and the will to keep putting one foot in front of another.
#BeUMC worship and preaching materials
Incorporate the #BeUMC campaign into worship services with the help of planning ideas, Scripture, preaching notes, prayers, resources and more from Discipleship Ministries. The series runs for four weeks and is based on John Wesley’s three General Rules.
ICC Sermon Starters: Promoting Intercultural Competency In Preaching
GCORR has created this PDF downloadable resource to assist both clergy and lay preachers to attend faithfully to the biblical text while engaging Intercultural Competency (ICC) as a value and skill set.
United Methodist–Related Sources
- The worship staff at this United Methodist agency provides weekly scripture commentary, sermon ideas, United Methodist Book of Worship content, and worship service suggestions for the upcoming seasons and Revised Common Lectionary readings.
- Scripture reflections for preaching, planning and leading worship, services for special occasions, prayers and litanies, complete orders of worship, worship for children, music, and more.
- Articles, suggestions, references, and more for United Methodist congregational ministry, including worship resources.
- A comprehensive index of hymns and hymnals.
- A religious order dedicated to sacramental and liturgical scholarship, education, and practice.
- A three-year cycle of scripture texts used by many church bodies around the world.
- Innovative ideas for sensory-rich and well-integrated worship services. Led by Dr. Marcia McFee, a recognized United Methodist worship designer and author, the site offers videos, interviews, resources, advice for coordinating worship teamwork, webinars, and crowdsourcing. The material applies to churches of various sizes and worship styles.