Find reflections on scripture, concepts for worship and disciple formation, music, liturgy, and more to invigorate your worship planning. Most of these come from Methodist sources and reflect Wesleyan theology.
Epiphany Worship Resources
Glimpses of the Kin-dom
We are counting the weeks after Epiphany and attempting to get a glimpse of what life as the people of God might be like. We consider some of the most famous passages of scripture to help us shape a vision of the life we are called to live—not just a special, rise-to-the-occasion kind of life, but an everyday life, an ordinary life that isn’t ordinary. Because we believe that followers of Christ who live their faith day by day are anything but ordinary. They stand out; they become models and mentors; they are examples of what life is all about. At least that is our hope and our belief: that our lives represent the kin-dom of God. We are the evidence that our faith is true and our God is at work in the world. In other words, we are now the epiphany, the light shining forth for the world to see. And of course, we will fail from time to time. But how we deal with failure is also a sign of that presence and glimpse of the kin-dom. So, this ordinary time is extra-ordinary in the living of it. Let us embrace the call with grace and with joy.
Advent Worship Resources
God’s Unimaginable Surprises
Advent is a “hurry up and wait” season. We’re called to prepare our hearts while also being patient. That can be difficult, and in our constant planning, we don’t leave space to embrace the mystery of God and the unimaginable surprises that come with it. Dive into these Advent resources to view the Book of Isaiah through the lens of surprise as we wait for Christ.
An Advent Song of Ascents
Isaiah is our anchor text for this Advent worship series. But Psalms gives us the mood, theme, or even soul. “I was glad when they said to me ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord!’” The opening line from Psalm 122 captures something of the Advent spirit this year. From “I was glad” to “go to the house of the Lord.” We are singing a song of ascent this Advent season.
#BeUMC worship and preaching materials
Incorporate the #BeUMC campaign into worship services with the help of planning ideas, Scripture, preaching notes, prayers, resources and more from Discipleship Ministries. The series runs for four weeks and is based on John Wesley’s three General Rules.
ICC Sermon Starters: Promoting Intercultural Competency In Preaching
GCORR has created this PDF downloadable resource to assist both clergy and lay preachers to attend faithfully to the biblical text while engaging Intercultural Competency (ICC) as a value and skill set.
United Methodist–Related Sources
- The worship staff at this United Methodist agency provides weekly scripture commentary, sermon ideas, United Methodist Book of Worship content, and worship service suggestions for the upcoming seasons and Revised Common Lectionary readings.
- Scripture reflections for preaching, planning and leading worship, services for special occasions, prayers and litanies, complete orders of worship, worship for children, music, and more.
- Articles, suggestions, references, and more for United Methodist congregational ministry, including worship resources.
- A comprehensive index of hymns and hymnals.
- A religious order dedicated to sacramental and liturgical scholarship, education, and practice.
- A three-year cycle of scripture texts used by many church bodies around the world.
- Innovative ideas for sensory-rich and well-integrated worship services. Led by Dr. Marcia McFee, a recognized United Methodist worship designer and author, the site offers videos, interviews, resources, advice for coordinating worship teamwork, webinars, and crowdsourcing. The material applies to churches of various sizes and worship styles.