Find reflections on scripture, concepts for worship and disciple formation, music, liturgy, and more to invigorate your worship planning. Most of these come from Methodist sources and reflect Wesleyan theology.
May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, in which we celebrate and recognize the cultural and historical contributions of Asian Pacific Americans to the United States. Along with fifteen Asian Pacific American ethnic groups in The United Methodist Church—Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino, Formosan, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Middle Easterners, Pakistani, South Asians, Vietnamese, Tongans, Samoans, and Fijians—we honor the heritage and legacy of Asian Pacific Americans.
Here is a list to help us observe Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in worship by singing, praying and worshiping with hymns and worship resources. As we celebrate Asian American and Pacific Heritage Month, may we know better about Asian American and Pacific Islander heritage and build the nation under God who calls us to unite in diversity.
Is Pentecost the birthday of the church? Maybe, or maybe that’s when the church learned to walk on its own. Maybe that’s when, empowered by fire and wind, the church spoke on its own, but used words learned from the one who gave it life. On Pentecost, we celebrate the coming of the Spirit to raise the church out of hiding and out of despair and to give the church wind at the back and fire in the bones and to encourage the church to proclaim; no—to live the good news of Jesus Christ outwardly and invitationally.
#BeUMC worship and preaching materials
Incorporate the #BeUMC campaign into worship services with the help of planning ideas, Scripture, preaching notes, prayers, resources and more from Discipleship Ministries. The series runs for four weeks and is based on John Wesley’s three General Rules.
ICC Sermon Starters: Promoting Intercultural Competency In Preaching
GCORR has created this PDF downloadable resource to assist both clergy and lay preachers to attend faithfully to the biblical text while engaging Intercultural Competency (ICC) as a value and skill set.
United Methodist–Related Sources
- The worship staff at this United Methodist agency provides weekly scripture commentary, sermon ideas, United Methodist Book of Worship content, and worship service suggestions for the upcoming seasons and Revised Common Lectionary readings.
- Scripture reflections for preaching, planning and leading worship, services for special occasions, prayers and litanies, complete orders of worship, worship for children, music, and more.
- Articles, suggestions, references, and more for United Methodist congregational ministry, including worship resources.
- A comprehensive index of hymns and hymnals.
- A religious order dedicated to sacramental and liturgical scholarship, education, and practice.
- A three-year cycle of scripture texts used by many church bodies around the world.
- Innovative ideas for sensory-rich and well-integrated worship services. Led by Dr. Marcia McFee, a recognized United Methodist worship designer and author, the site offers videos, interviews, resources, advice for coordinating worship teamwork, webinars, and crowdsourcing. The material applies to churches of various sizes and worship styles.