Alive in Christ together we embody the beloved community of disciple-making congregations
Friday, September 29, 2023
INVITATION TO NOMINATE EPISCOPAL CANDIDATE(S)
As the 2024 Jurisdictional Conference delegation of the Susquehanna Conference begins its work, one of the great responsibilities of the delegation is to identify possible Episcopal candidates. Through a process of discernment and prayer the delegation has determined to extend an invitation to clergy and lay members of the Annual Conference to submit the name of any person you feel led to nominate as a candidate for the episcopacy. All nominations must be sent to Rev. Kind by email or U.S. mail by October 9, 2023. READ MORE
DISASTER RESPONSE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED IN SCRANTON
There is a great need for volunteers to assist residents of the Scranton area clean up after recent storms and flooding. If you or a team from your congregation would like to assist, please contact Doug Hoy, Disaster Response Coordinator at (717) 766-5376 or follow this link and click on “Local Projects” for additional details and to register to volunteer.
DISABILITY AWARENESS SUNDAY
October 8, 2023 is Disability Awareness Sunday in the Susquehanna Conference!
Donations can be made online at https://umcdmc.org/disability-ministries/donate/ Or through TheAdvance #3021054: through the General Board of Global Ministries of The United Methodist Church. View resources for social media graphics, and prayers you can use in your own worship service.
UPCOMING LAY SERVANT WORKSHOPS
- Right Stuff: Advent Workshop – How can we “love God” more? What can we give him poor as we are? Let’s work with our minds and hands on new ways to give him our hearts. This workshop will be held on October 14 – Barts Centenary UMC, 50 East King Street, Littlestown (9 am – 1 pm)
- Invent Event – How can we “love others” more? What can we give them that we haven’t? Let’s work with our minds and hands on new ways to give them our hearts. This workshop will be held on October 21 – Barts Centenary UMC, 50 East King Street, Littlestown (9 am – 1 pm)
These FREE interactive workshops include a light lunch. Each workshop is eligible for .4 CEUs from the Susquehanna Conference Committee on Lay Servant Ministries. For questions or to register, contact Terri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOGA FOR TIRED CLERGY: LAST CHANCE!
Starting in just a few days: an 8-week online body and soul care experience tailored especially for clergy and faith leaders who need a space of rest and deep breath. Each week’s (gentle, appropriate for all levels) yoga class will be accompanied by contemplative prayer practices and soul care resources, prompts for journaling or deeper reflection, and other resources to deepen our journeys of faith in the midst of the sometimes exhausting complexities of local church ministry. Led by Rev. Melissa Madara, a UM deacon and spiritual director. Email email@example.com or visit www.sacredsoulscapes.org/challenge-page/clergyyoga for more information. CEUs are available; enter the promo code UMC2023 at checkout for a special UM clergy discount.
UPCOMING FALL EVENTS AT ORCHARD HILL
- Pastor’s Sabbath: Tuesday, October 24 with Pat Woolever and Tuesday, November 21 with Elaine Moyer. LEARN MORE
- Silent Retreat: November 13-15 with Rev. Dr. Kathy Harvey Nelson. LEARN MORE
NEW ADVENT RESOURCES IN DISCOVERY PLACE
Three new Advent resources are available from the Discover Place! Each one has four sessions for the Advent Season and two copies of each are available, so order soon!
- Experiencing Christmas with Matt Rawle explores the signs that God is about to do something radical and new! Encounter God in the sights, sounds, tastes, and feelings we associate with Christmas.
- An Unlikely Advent with Rachel Billups offers us the characters that rarely take center stage in the Christmas story. Find yourself in the stories of Elizabeth and Zechariah, King Herod, the Magi, and the Shepherds.
- Heaven and Earth with Will Willimon introducing God who brings heaven to earth and changes everything! We celebrate and anticipate the earth-shaking, life-transforming good news that God is coming to us! God is on the way!
LEARN MORE ABOUT THESE TITLES
DISCOVERY PLACE – REORGANIZATION
The Discovery Place is experiencing a major reorganization!
Materials that are being removed from circulation will be available for pick up at the Conference Office, 303 Mulberry Dr, Mechanicsburg until November 1. Please feel free to drop in during office hours, 9 am to 4 pm, Monday – Thursday, and Friday morning, to take what you want! There are DVDs and study guides, books, and other materials that are free for the taking! Email Kim Shockley, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions.
MARTY COX AWARD NOMINATIONS
The Bishop’s Committee for Christian Unity and Interreligious Relationships is soliciting annual Marty Cox Award nominations. This yearly honor recognizes individuals or groups in the Susquehanna Conference that have promoted fellowship or helped persons in need among Christians of any denomination or believers of other faiths.
Please consider churches in your district who may be potential nominees for the award. Submissions to the committee should be emailed directly to Renee Ford, committee coordinator (email@example.com), but must be received by January 31, 2024. The awardee will be announced next year at the Annual Conference in Williamsport. Here are links to a worksheet and the online nomination form.
For the weeks of October 1 – 7
Wesley UMC, Marysville
Equinunk UMC, Equinunk
Spring Hill UMC, Wyalusing
Asbury UMC, Altoona
St. John’s UMC, McAlisterville
Zion UMC, East Prospect
Shavertown UMC, Shavertown
Knoxville Yoked Church, Knoxville
Mill Hall UMC, Mill Hall
*West Side UMC, Clearfield
*Roruks UMC, Roruks – Sierra Leone
- #STILLINMISSION – Join us October 5 (7:00 PM EST) via Zoom as we explore the transforming work of United Methodist missionaries serving around the world.You will have the opportunity to meet in a small group to hear a presentation from a single missionary during the call. Registration is limited. You will get a confirmation email once your registration is accepted.
Learn More & Register Today
- The Bible and your mental health – These scriptural reflections encourage us to recognize that which ails us and to share our burdens with God and community. Find healing amid hardship