Alive in Christ together we embody the beloved community of disciple-making congregations
Friday, August 25, 2023
Please pray for the people of Maui as they recover from the devastating wildfires.
If you wish to contribute financially to the relief and recovery efforts, go to The California-Pacific Conference of the United Methodist Church they have set up a link to give financially; or financial contributions can also be given and designated for “Hawaii” by going to UMCOR’s US Disaster Response page.
CAMP & RETREAT MINISTRY ANNOUNCES NEW DIRECTOR FOR WESLEY FOREST
Susquehanna Camp and Retreat Ministries is delighted to announce that TayLavor (TayLa) Fugate has been selected to serve as the new center director for the ministry at Wesley Forest Camp and Retreat Center. READ MORE
ATTENTION SPOUSES OF CLERGY WHO RECENTLY STARTED A NEW APPOINTMENT
Last Call for Coaching for Spouses of Clergy who Recently Started a New Appointment/ Moved: The Board of Health and Pensions of the Annual Conference is partnering with ARTOS Retreat Ministries to offer transition coaching for clergy spouses through the year of “firsts”. This includes six individual, confidential, virtual coaching sessions with Julie Anderman, an ICF-certified coach and UMC clergy spouse. Sessions can be scheduled directly with Julie – firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 492-238. The first session is complimentary and funding is available through the board for additional sessions. ————————–
LEVEL UP! NEW PLACES, NEW PEOPLE – EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION ENDS AUGUST 31
Are you ready to take your ministry to the next level?
You and a team from your church/charge are invited to Christ UMC in Bethel Park (near Pittsburgh) on November 10 and 11 to attend Level Up! New Places, New People sponsored by the Western PA, West Virginia and Susquehanna Conferences.
This two-day learning and equipping event is designed to be a catalyst for your ministry as you discern and take your next steps in 2024 and beyond. You will have the opportunity to hear from Rachel Gilmore, Luke Edwards, and Michael Beck during our group sessions and attend three different workshops with these keynote speakers and other leaders, all real-world practitioners of the ministry concepts they teach.
Additional resources will be available to you and your team before, during, and after the event and CEU’s are available
For more information on the event, workshop presenters and to register please visit
UPCOMING EVENTS FROM THE CENTER FOR SPIRITUAL FORMATION
- FALL AT ORCHARD HILL: Silent Retreat with Russell Hart September 11-13, deadline to register Wednesday, September, 6. Silent Retreat with Rev. Dr. Kathy Harvey Nelson November 13-15, deadline to register, Wednesday, November, 8. LEARN MORE
- Pastor’s Sabbaths:
– Tuesday, September 26 with Kim Cartwright; Topic: Reflections on the Woman at the Well: A Time of Refreshment and Renewal deadline to register Wednesday, September 29.
– Tuesday, October 24 with Pat Woolever.
– Tuesday, November 21 with Elaine Moyer.
Overnight available for all Pastor’s Sabbaths. LEARN MORE
RETIRED MINISTERS’ FELLOWSHIP MEETING
The Retired Ministers’ Fellowship of the Susquehanna Conference will meet on Thursday, September 21, 2023, at Otterbein UMC, 647 Forge Road, Carlisle. There will be coffee fellowship at 9:30 a.m; devotions, a program and a business meeting at 10; and lunch at noon. The program will be a soloist, handbells, and a piano-organ duet. Reservations may be made with Rev. Myron Jones, 669 Asbury Lane, Altoona, PA 16601-8710. DOWNLOAD RSVP FORM
BOUNDARIES & CLARITY: ENNEAGRAM PRINCIPLES FOR HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS
September 30, 2023 (9 am – 4 pm) at Middlesex UMC, Carlisle, PA
Come learn more about the Enneagram (a psychological and spiritual personality type method focused on personal growth and transformation) and how we can cultivate healthy relationships. We’ll discuss the individual personality types, pitfalls and gifts of each type, and provide opportunities to think about next steps for self-care and maintaining healthy boundaries.
Rev. Karen Weiss, founder of Waterworks Ministries and Dream Big Coaching, will be leading this workshop. Type in EARLYBIRD for 10% off if you register by September 8. This workshop will provide 0.6 CEUs. REGISTER HERE
BOUNDARIES TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
All clergy, CLM’s and laity (including church staff) who function in a pastoral role are required to take Boundaries every four years. This is the required course that fulfills the initial Boundaries requirement and also satisfies the 4 year renewal requirement.
- A Boundaries Training will be held on September 30, 2023 (9 am – 3 pm) at First UMC, 602 S Market St, Muncy. Bring your own lunch (it will be a working lunch). Instructor will be Rev. Marian Hartman. REGISTER HERE
- A Boundaries Training will be held on October 14, 2023 (9 am – 3 pm) at Gettysburg UMC, 30 W High St, Gettysburg. Bring your own lunch (it will be a working lunch). Instructor will be Rev. Marian Hartman. REGISTER HERE
DISASTER RESPONSE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
The York, Berks, Bucks, and Northampton counties have been affected by recent storms and flooding. There is a great need for volunteers to assist with cleanup. If you or a team from your congregation would like to assist, please follow this link and click on “Local Projects” for additional details and to register to volunteer.
SEVERE WEATHER PREPAREDNESS
Much of our area has seen an increased frequency in the number of severe weather events including heavy rains, high winds, hailstorms, and flooding. These severe weather events can have damaging effects and pose a risk to people and property across the Susquehanna Conference.
Here are some precautions you can take in advance of the next severe weather event to mitigate your risk.
For the weeks of August 27 – September 2
Congress Hill UMC, Frenchville
Grays UMC, Port Matilda
Sweden Valley Faith UMC, Coudersport
Highspire UMC, Highspire UMC
Mifflinville UMC, Mifflinville
Rhodes Memorial UMC, Lewistown
Pleasant Hill UMC, Burnt Cabins
*Fishing Creek Salem UMC, Etters
*J. Hal Smith UMC, Jaiama – Sierra Leone
Dimock Community UMC, Dimock
Mooresburg UMC, Mooresburg
Mount Asbury Camp & Retreat Center, Newville
- #STILLINMISSION – Join us September 7, 2023 (12:00 PM EST) via Zoom as we explore the transforming work of United Methodist missionaries serving around the world.You will have the opportunity to meet in a small group to hear a presentation from a single missionary during the call. Find out more about these missionaries: Dieudonne Kutela Katembo, Fernando Matsimbe, Lorraine Charinda, and Temba Nkomozepi at www.umcmission.org
United Methodist Missionaries are #stillinmission and we hope that you’ll join us to learn more! Registration is limited. You will get a confirmation email once your registration is accepted. Register Today
- Doodle as you pray – Pick up a pencil and paper and let the prayer time begin. Watch how simple doodling can lead to a meaningful time of connection with God. Watch >>
- Invitation to prayer – Sponsored by SBC21 leaders, this 7-day video series features 2-minute video devotionals accompanied by a prayer starter. Each video features a Scripture reading, a reflection on the passage, and a prayer starter. We invite persons to be guided by the prayer starter and then take a 5-10 minute pause to hear from God. Keep paper and pen close by to take note of how God speaks to you (audible voice, a memory, a song, etc.) Our prayer is that the practice of listening will help you hear more clearly. Learn More
- Communications Learning Week – This year’s Communication Learning Week, set for October 16-20, will be a week-long virtual learning experience filled with recorded workshops, Q&A sessions and strategic resources designed by a host of church communications professionals. Courses will cover a wide range of topics, such as content for digital congregations, rural church communications, news writing and storytelling, just to name a few. Join our waiting list to be informed of when registration opens and also get the opportunity to take advantage of the early-bird registration discount. Get ready