Position Title: Executive Administrative Assistant Episcopal Office
Classification: Full-time; Exempt (Supervisory/Professional Staff)
Purpose: The Executive Administrative Assistant of the Episcopal Office is a vital part of Conference mission of providing connection and resources to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
The primary role of the Executive Administrative Assistant is to provide administrative and secretarial support for the Bishop(s) and the Episcopal Office, as well as overall support of ministry within the Annual Conference.
Accountability: The Executive Administrative Assistant of the Episcopal Office is directly accountable to the Bishop(s) of the Susquehanna Conference and/or the Bishop’s designee.
- Establish and maintain the Bishop’s calendar in both electronic and print form; including but not limited to Council and College of Bishops, Cabinet meetings and general church and Annual Conference meetings, district meetings and/or special events in which the Bishop(s) has chosen to attend
- Manage the requests for the Bishop(s) to preach or attend special events across the church, utilizing proper procedures as instructed by the Bishop(s)
- Manage, or assist the Bishop(s) with managing, travel arrangements, utilizing excellent time management skills to limit excess travel or time away
- Prepare and provide the Bishop(s) with all printed, digital and organized materials relevant to upcoming meetings and events
- Coordinate, summarize and prioritize all correspondence (print and electronic) coming in and out of the Episcopal Office; utilizing the specific manner as determined by the resident Bishop(s)
- Manage messages on answering service, including upkeep of relevant greetings and prompt checking of all left messages
- Work in cooperation with the Bishop(s) and Assistant to the Bishop(s) in processing finances; including but not limited to coordinating receipts, processing bills and submitting expense reports; responsible for the Episcopal staff budget along with clergy assistant
- In consultation with the Treasurer and Episcopal staff, negotiates and signs contracts on behalf of the Episcopal Office.
- Handle calls appropriately; using sound judgement to decide how and when it is appropriate to delegate a phone call or visit to another appropriate source other than the Bishop(s)
- Assisting both Coordinating and Appointive Cabinet
- Supervision of other Administrative Assistants in the Episcopal office.
- Always demonstrate “firm politeness” to honor Bishop’s office time, to respect the individual and to demonstrate a spirit of grace and hospitality at all times
- Other general clerical work including, but not limited to, handling correspondence, answering telephone calls, preparing mailings, scheduling, and filing
- Assume other duties, as needed, or assigned
- Strong commitment to the continuing United Methodist Church’s vision, mission, values, and goals
- Strong understanding of the United Methodist Church structure and polity, including functions and responsibilities of various boards and agencies
- Demonstrates an active faith and involvement with a Christian faith community
- Always maintain confidentiality
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Ability to work independently, collegially and under direction of supervisors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Customer service skills: courteous and professional interpersonal skills with others
- Ability to prioritize work efficiently and accurately based on priority and deadlines
- Attention to quality and detail, in organizing, producing, and performing all tasks including proofreading all forms of media and print
- Willingness to travel, locally and domestically for Conferences and General Church events as requested
- Minimum education: Associate degree or equivalent
- Experience: Five years proven experience in a professional setting including supervision
- Proficient computer skills including Excel, Word, Google, and general internet navigation
- Obtain and submit necessary clearances as required
Applicants should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org