Williamsport District Lay Servant Web site
Fall Lay Servant Ministry Classes
Registration is now open for the upcoming classes offered by the Williamsport District Lay Servant / Lay Speaking Committee. Remember: classes taken in October 2016 and Spring of 2017 are the ones reported on your Charge Conference forms in the fall of 2017 as new classes. Classes taken in October 2017 and Spring of 2018 are reported on your Charge Conference forms in the fall of 2018 as new classes.
Cost per class is $40 and you purchase your own book individually.
Bring a bag lunch.
Three classes will be offered October 14 and 21 at First UMC - 602 S Market St., Muncy, PA 17756-1628, from 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
SPIRITUAL GIFTS (Book required - “3 Colors of Ministry” available on Amazon)
- What gifts have been given you by God that will grow others into better disciples of Jesus?
- What areas of outreach are calling to you? Have you reevaluated lately?
- How do you respond? How do you choose where to focus?
This class helps you to identify your gifts and graces and use them in the family of God.
THE HOW TO GUIDE FOR VISITING THE SICK AND TERMINALLY ILL (No book required)
- The main thrust of the class will be to teach participants how to respond / talk to and with people and family members who are in critical and end of life situations.
- How to listen and respond to patients and their families.
Led by several instructors with experience in the field from both nursing and spiritual care perspectives.
Lay Speakers Preach (Book required - “Lay Speakers Preach” available on Cokesbury).
- This Lay Servant Ministries Advanced Course written by John P. Gilbert is a great overall introduction to those moments when someone asks you to say something during the morning message time.
- How do you begin to think about or prepare a sermon?
- Great refresher if you preach often.
- Geared for everyone including beginning speakers and new Certified Lay Servants.
For those who are currently Certified Lay Speakers or Certified Lay Ministers, if you have previously NOT taken Equipping God's People, you can enroll in an EGP group near you and that classroom experience (8 sessions) will be reported by you as your new class next year.
With the new 2016 Book of Discipline, there are three categories of persons who are required to take classes. There categories are Certified Lay Ministers(need a ten hour class yearly), Certified Lay Speakers (those who took Basic in the past and have maintained their status with a minimum of a ten hour class in the last three years), and Certified Lay Servants (those who have completed EGP and are staying current with an additional ten hour class within the last three years). All three groups are required to fill out a form for Charge Conference each year and to meet with either the DCOM (for CLM) or the Lay Servant Committee at a “Meet and Greet Event” once every three years (both other groups).
Fall Lay Servant Ministry Classes
October 14 and 21, 2017 at First UMC, Muncy
Please make check for $40 payable to: ‘Williamsport District UMC’ and mail with registration form to:
Sue Heyler - Lay Registrar
317 Linck Hill Road
Morris, PA 16938 before October 8, 2017
CHURCH: __________________________________________________ PHONE/EMAIL: ___________________________
Please register for one class :
_____ SPIRITUAL GIFTS
_____ HOW TO GUIDE FOR VISITING THE SICK AND TERMINALLY ILL
______ LAY SPEAKERS PREACH
In addition to the classes being offered by our district there are others offered throughout the conference.
There are also online courses available through the Board of Global Ministries: www.beadisciple.com/Lay-servantministries. These courses vary length and cost.