Microsoft Word Versions of the Forms
2017 Charge Conference General Instructions
1. Charge Conference Checklist Preparation Sheet
2. Membership Report
3. Certification of election of lay members
4a. Local Church Officers
4b. Charge Officers
4c. Local Church Officers (Alternative Minimum Structure)
5. Annual Parsonage Inspection Report
6. Worksheet Recommendations for Pastoral Compensation
6b. Worksheet Recommendations for CLM Compensation
7. Safe Sanctuaries Report
8. Lay Servant Report
9. Church Trustees Report
9a. Weekday Children's Ministry
10. Charge Trustees Report
11. Continuing Formation
12. Local Church Annual Financial Audit
13. Charge Annual Financial Audit
Parsonage Inspection Report at the Time of Transition
Accountable Reimbursement Policies Q and A
FORMS 1-8must be sent to your District Office (see addresses below) at least TWO WEEKS prior to your charge conference! If there is any additional business to be conducted, that must also be received by the district office 2 weeks prior to your charge conference. They may be sent electronically and copies with signatures can be provided at the Charge Conference.
Final Copies (with signatures) for the District Office should NOT BE BOUND – not stapled, glued, spiral bound, etc. Use a paper clip and/or a folder.
Charge Name: Please check the conference journal for the correct name of the charge.
o Example: You may think you serve First UM Church, Mongolia. However, due to necessary computer sorting features, the Charge name is Mongolia, First. The Church name is First UMC. Check the Journal!
· Form 4 –you will find form 4a, 4b and 4c. These are for Local Church Officers, Charge Officers and Churches using the Alternative Minimum Structure.
o For single point charges, fill out Form 4a.
o For Multi-point charges, fill out form 4a for each church, leaving SPRC and Lay Member blank. Then fill in Form 4b with all Charge officers.
o Form 4c is for churches using the alternative minimum structure
§ List all council members including the “class” they are in (they should be in three year classes)
§ List their designated role – Council Chair, Lay Leader, Lay Member, Trustee Chair, Trustee vice chair, Trustee secretary, 2 members for SPRC concerns and 2 for finance
· Some persons may have 2 designations (Lay Leader may be one of the SPRC people – designate both roles),
· those who may not have a specific role should be listed as “council members”
§ List other church staff/officers as applicable
· Addresses For District Superintendents and email for District Administrative Assistants
Pastors and churches may want to visit www.gcfa.org for helpful information such as:
GCFA Tax Packet
GCFA Audit Guide
Preparing for Church/Charge Conferences
3 Complete Packetsshould be provided with all forms and with Signatures (DS, Pastor and Charge Conference Secretary)
Packets for all in attendance should include all items requiring a vote except Form 3 & Form 1 – Checklist
Materials to be assembled in this order:
1. Minutes of previous Charge Conference(s) – VOTE
2. Audits if they have not already been approved and received by Church Council – VOTE
3. 2016 Church and Charge Trustee reports to be received - VOTE
4. Shares of Ministry Plan – any church that does not anticipate being able to pay their shares in full shall submit a written plan to address the deficit in the current and future years. Plan should note date that it was approved by Church Council
5. Form 2 – Membership report; if names are to be presented for Charge Conference removal, names must be listed and provided to all present – VOTE only if there are names to be removed
6. Form 3 – Election of Lay Member form – VOTE (does not have to be in general packets)
7. Form 4a, 4b, 4c - May be included in packets – vote needed if no additional Lay Leadership (nominations report) is provided
8. Report of the Lay Leadership and Development committee – This may be a format of your choosing. All officers and committee members are to be elected by church/charge conference; MUST include SPRC chair person, church treasurer (if treasurer is not paid staff) – VOTE
a. A motion is needed from the floor to nominate members to the Lay Leadership and Development Committee. Persons nominated should be contacted prior to determine if they are willing to serve
b. A covering motion will be requested to permit Ad Council to fill vacancies between Charge conferences – but that motion does not include replacing a Lay Member or SPRC chair
9. Form 5 – Parsonage inspection report
10. Form 6 – Pastor’s Compensation (only the first 2 pages, do not copy the worksheets and instructions) – VOTE
11. Form 6a – CLM ‘s Compensation (if applicable) – VOTE
12. Form 7 – Safe Sanctuary Report – attach Safe Sanctuary Policy if changed/updated since last charge conference. All churches MUST have a SS policy whether or not the congregation has children.
13. Form 8 – Report of Lay Speaker(s) – VOTE
14. Candidates for ministry (No form is required, this should noted on the checklist – prepare small sheets of paper for written ballot) - VOTE
15. Report of Retired Pastors / other clergy with charge conference membership
16. Leases to be approved (all leases should be reviewed by the trustees and pre-approved by Ad Council – copies need not be provided for all present) – VOTE
17. NEW THIS YEAR (well, we should have been doing this for many years but we didn’t know…) All INCORPORATED Churches must file Form 15-5110 Annual Statement Non-Profit Corp. with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with the officers elected for 2018. This form is available with the Charge Conference forms. Instructions are included with the form. THIS SHOULD BE SENT TO THE ADDRESS ON THE INSTRUCTIONS only – do not send to the district office! There is no fee for this. Send by January 31.